LECTURER/SENIOR LECTURER/ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR/PROFESSOR IN QUANTITATIVE GEOGRAPHY (ONE POST) RE-ADVERTISEMENT
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates to fill the post of Lecturer/Senior Lecturer/Associate Professor/Professor in Quantitative Geography in the Department of Geography, Earth Sciences and the Environment (GESE) at the University of Malawi.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES
Quantitative geographers are concerned with all aspects of geographical information science (GIS, Remote sensing and other geospatial technologies), data handling and geo-computation, mathematics, statistics, visualisation and data presentation coupled with social and scientific knowledge within the context of geographical thinking. Quantitative geography spans physical, human and environmental geography and also the sciences, social sciences and the humanities. The role of the quantitative geographer is therefore, to develop, test, and use mathematical and statistical methods to analyze and model geographic phenomena and patterns. One should also be able to use mathematical and statistical methods to better understand patterns, relationships, and processes in the spatial distribution of human and physical phenomena. The successful candidate shall be expected to apply these quantitative skills in other geography courses like spatial organisation, environmental management, health geography, regional and physical planning.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Applicants for the Staff Associate position should possess a Bachelor’s degree majoring in Geography and GIS passed with at least a credit and with any of the following courses: Earth Sciences, Mathematics, Statistics or Computer Science. The Bachelor’s Degree should be obtained from a reputable and accredited institution.
- Applicants for the Lecturer position should have at least a Master of Science Degree in Geography with a bias in Quantitative Geography or PhD in Quantitative Geography subsequent to a Bachelor of Science Degree with Credit from a reputable and accredited institution.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Successful candidates for this position will be undertaking, among others, the following duties:
1. Teaching undergraduate and postgraduate students.
2. Conducting research in their area of specialization.
3. Participating in departmental, school, and university-wide committees.
4. Being part of academic consultants within the broader areas of the department.
5. Participating in outreach programs of the department.
Applications stating the post being applied for, including detailed Curriculum Vitae, copies of certificates and names of three traceable referees should be submitted to:
University of Malawi
P.O. Box 280
To reach him not later than 27th October, 2023. Only short-listed applications will be acknowledged.